Article Text

PDF

LACUNAE

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Killer biscuits wanted for attempted murder (the actual Associated Press headline)

L inda Burnett, 23, a resident of San Diego, was visiting her in-laws and while there went to a nearby supermarket to pick up some groceries. Several people noticed her sitting in her car with the windows rolled up and with her eyes closed, with both hands behind the back of her head. One customer who had been at the store for a while became concerned and walked over to the car. He noticed that Linda’s eyes were now open, and she looked very strange. He asked her if she was okay, and Linda replied that she’d been shot in the back of the head, and had been holding her brains in for over an hour. The man called the paramedics, who broke into the car because the doors were locked and Linda refused to remove her hands from her head. When they finally got in, they found that Linda had a wad of bread dough on the back of her head. A Pillsbury biscuit canister had exploded from the heat, making a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot, and the wad of dough hit her in the back of her head. When she reached back to find out what it was, she felt the dough and thought it was her brains. She initially passed out, but quickly recovered and tried to hold her brains in for over an hour until someone noticed and came to her aid. And, yes, Linda is a blonde (contributed by Susan Baker).

Chiropractic opinions on baby walkers

The Chiropractic Association of Australia has added its voice to concerns over the use of baby walkers. The association argues that the products should be banned because, according to spokesman Benjamin Schutte, “in addition to the injury risk they are responsible for serious locomotor problems and faulty walking patterns”. There are also concerns associated with prematurely encouraging walking. The issue was a focus of promotion during National Chiropractic Week May 20–27 (The Australian, April 2002).

Apparent failure of shark repellent device

A number of products have been developed to protect those in the water from attacks by sharks. In what is reported to be the first such attack an Australian scallop diver has been attacked and killed by a shark while wearing such a device. The professional diver was wearing a electronic deterrent product called a Shark POD when he was attacked and killed, probably by a 7 m long white pointer. Newspaper reports quote the company as saying that there had been no known attack of anyone wearing the device and a fellow diver as saying that divers thought the device would protect them against a cruising shark but not an aggressively hunting white pointer. These sharks are protected by Australian law (The Australian, May 2002).

View Abstract

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.