Hospital admissions following presentations to emergency departments for a fracture in older people
- 1NSW Injury Risk Management Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- 2School of Human Movement and Sport Sciences, University of Ballarat, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
- 3Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- 4Accident Research Centre, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Correspondence to: Dr S Boufous NSW Injury Risk Management Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Building B10, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia;
- Accepted 20 February 2007
The aim of this paper is to estimate the proportion of older people who are hospitalised following a presentation to an emergency department for hip, pelvic and wrist fractures. The findings indicate that hospitalisation data do not accurately reflect the incidence of low-trauma fractures, particularly wrist and pelvic fractures, in older people.
Competing interests: None.