Article Text

PDF
Motorcycle injuries in a developing country and the vulnerability of riders, passengers, and pedestrians
  1. B A Solagberu,
  2. C K P Ofoegbu,
  3. A A Nasir,
  4. O K Ogundipe,
  5. A O Adekanye,
  6. L O Abdur-Rahman
  1. Department of Surgery, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Nigeria
  1. Correspondence to:
 Dr B A Solagberu
 Department of Surgery, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, PO Box 4377, Ilorin 240001, Nigeria; basolagberu{at}yahoo.com

Abstract

At a Nigerian university hospital, none of the motorcyclists who presented over a 12 month period had been wearing a helmet, and of the eight patients who died, seven had head injuries. Of the five collision types described, the rate of motorcycle-other vehicle collisions was highest at 40.6%, while the motorcycle-pedestrian rate was 23.4%. Measures to prevent these collisions might reduce overall crashes by 64%; in addition, helmet law should be enforced.

  • ISS, injury severity score
  • MCI, motorcycle injury
  • RTI, road traffic injury
  • RTS, revised trauma score
  • TRISS, probability of survival
  • UITH, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital
  • motorcycle
  • Nigeria

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Footnotes

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.